Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Midnite ramen

This recipe is a little different in the sense that it was just me and not our usual foodie pair who cooked this. But then what do you expect me to do when I feel terribly hungry at midnight? Go and drag Yadu? No way ;)

If you would have read the last post you would have known by now my fetish for garlic. I got another one which is for Top Ramen. Maggie might be the most popular instant noodle out there but for me Top Ramen is the manna from heaven. Surviving on instant noodles for almost four years of college life has left me with a weird habit of never cooking noodles with water and the tastemaker only. I have to add other stuffs or else I won't ever make it. No sir, not even if I am dying of hunger and a pack of noodle is the last amount of food available.

I usually cook ramen (alias ramen='Top Ramen') with a lot of garlic but last night to my utter dismay I found that my kitchen was devoid of garlic. So I decided to experiment. Which turned out to be good. My ramen experiments usually give class 'A' results. Another advantage of surviving on noodles each day for four continuous years.

Enough of ranting I guess. Time for ingredients :
  1. Spring onion (1, separate into bulb and leafy part, chopped separately)
  2. Cabbage leaves (4 - 6, chopped finely)
  3. Tomato (1/2 medium sized, chopped)
  4. ramen (1 packet)
  5. Black pepper powder (1/2 teaspoon)
  6. Butter (1 tablespoon)
  7. Garlic flavoured cheese spread (1 tablespoon or more) (atleast somehow I got my garlic flavour)
  8. Water (3 cups)
  9. Salt (to taste)
 Method :

Put the butter in a pan and heat it. Add the chopped spring onion bulb and fry it till its brown (I like mine brown, most people prefer golden-brown, so its up to you). Now add the chopped cabbage and fry for 3-4 mins. Keep stirring so that the finely chopped cabbage doesn't char. Add the spring onion leaves and fry for another 3-4 mins. Add salt (only enough for the veggies because we will add the ramen tastemaker anyway) and black pepper powder. Saute for 2 min. Close the flame and empty the contents into a plate. Put the pan back on flame with 2 and 1/2 cups of water. Add tomato pieces and tastemaker and stir well. When the water starts boiling add the ramen (as if I need to tell ya how to cook instant noodles!). When there is very little water left add the veggies and mix well. Add a little more water if required. When done empty into a plate. Add the cheese spread and mix well with the noodles.

And then, 'Itadakimasu'!


(Apparently I wasn't hungry enough this time and decided to wait and take a snap)

P.S. :  Stay tuned for my mind-blowing garlic flavored ramen recipe. I would love to patent the recipe but then its a sin to enjoy the awesome food all alone. A must-eat for all garlic lovers out there.

4 comments:

Yadu Rajiv said...

In Soviet Russia Midnite Ramen eats you :D heheh..

The cheese usually backfires for me at times.. mmm..

waiting for the mind blowing awesomeness :D heheh

Anonymous said...

WTF x-(
I'm feeling hungry, mujhe bhi chahiye :(

kr0y said...

l0nwlf, you'll definitely get this one when you come next. Finally a ramen recipe without garlic, you garlic hater :P
Btw you are the living proof who can testify how good my noodle cooking skills are. So, do your job here ;)

kr0y said...

Yadu chan;) you've had the top-sekret ramen and that too with the goodness of cheese :)